Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Seasonal Visitor


I know next to nothing about hunting, but there is one thing I have learned from Ben about the "sport." March and April are typically the months during which one is allowed to hunt turkeys. (I suppose I remember that fun fact since I found it ironic, given that we typically eat turkeys in the fall for Thanksgiving--the total opposite time of the year!) Anyway, so apparently in Virginia the 2008 Spring Gobbler Season begins this Saturday, April 12, and runs through May 17. (I did a little research; I definitely didn't know that off the top of my head.) Nevertheless, it was still a bit of a surprise when today, in the early afternoon, Ben spotted a runaway gobbler on the golf course adjacent to where we live! The turkey was running across the course, making a bee-line for the neighboring woods (who knows where he was going--or if he even knew--he was probably lost!). So, Ben chased him with the digital camera until he had just about disappeared. He only stopped chasing him when he turned and noticed several golfers teeing off on the same green across which the turkey was running (he wasn't sure who looked funnier--him running across the green with a camera, or the turkey!). He tells me that the little guy did make it across before getting a nasty surprise of a golf ball hitting his head.

Here are the best close-ups of our seasonal visitor, for your amusement:


No comments: