Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th



Tomorrow is July 4th - America's "birthday" so to speak. I've always loved Independence Day, and celebrating it in Williamsburg makes it seem like more than just a holiday. It seems more like a sacred day, but not a serious sacred day - a day of rejoicing and freedom. As a Christian, I suppose it's because I believe America was not founded by happenstance but through divine guidance and providence. That's what our Founding Fathers and those who signed the Declaration of Independence believed, and they were very clear in their statements that America would only succeed as a nation because of the morality of the people and the nation's commitment to biblical principles. Today, we're seeing a threat to America, not just without but from within, where people have abandoned that commitment. Not everyone has abandoned it, of course, but more than ever before, I think. I believe it's a result of our great prosperity and wealth, which traditionally has always been the downfall of a kingdom or nation. Nevertheless, today we do still have a great deal of freedom compared to many people around the world. We really should be more grateful for it, but I think it's hard since we don't know anything else!

We are going to town tomorrow to see some of the festivities--they do a reading of the Declaration of Independence and a vast array of other activities. And of course there are the fireworks along with the fifes and drums corps playing tomorrow night (to which MANY many people go, often coming from all over Virginia and farther!!). It will be great fun (hopefully not too hot) and we'll post pictures next week sometime if we get any good ones. Until then, Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Happy 4th! How cool to celebrate in Williamsburg, that just sounds so fun!!